Inspired by the great European commercial galleries, the Pacific Galleries were projected to lodge great stores that belonged to the style of the Parisian “Le Bon Marché”, in order to offer in this Argentinian version the best of the world-wide fashion. This building surprises by its ample and spacious corridors, the crossings that interrelate themselves in a harmonic way, and the glass vaults and the magnificence of the central one, product of an architectonic design worthy of admiration.
The original project dates from 1889 and belongs to the architects Emilio Agrelo and Rolando Le Vacher, and its restored version is from year 1992 by the architects J. C. Lopez and Associates.
It hasn’t always been a commercial gallery. In 1896 it hosted the Museum of Fine Arts for a number of years; afterwards, a part of the building became part of the Railroad administration of Buenos Aires. Later, a remodelling was projected in order to separate the Commercial Gallery from the area pertaining to the Railroad. Mural paintings from great artists such as Spilimbergo, Berni, Castagnino, Colmeiro and Urruchua were produced for such event and stayed embodied as masterpieces in the four-hundred-fifty square meters of the dome.
In 1989 it was declared National Historic Monument and due to a concession, it is nowadays administered by the company Galerias Pacifico S.A (Pacific Galleries Corporation.).
Towards the end of the 19th century, the Fruits and Vegetables Supply Market where the Balvanera neighborhood stood. Its location was the ideal one since it was almost in the geographic city center and half way between La Boca and Olivos, two fruit and vegetable production areas. The “Abasto Market”, as it was popularly known, was considered as one of the most important ones in South America in 1893.
In 1934 there were works to enlarge and improve the building that gave it the current look it has, plus it made possible to sell fish and meat, something that was highly impossible in its beginnings.
The project of the building as we know it nowadays is the result of the works of three architects: Delpini, Sulsio and Besque. The total area was 44,000 square meters and it had access for trains and subterranean parking lot.
In 1984, 50 years later it stopped working since a law that stated that it had to be transferred to the Central Market was passed. The growth of the city no longer allowed it to fulfill its functions in a normal way since this are had become a very busy one. This marked had influenced the history of the city in such a way that said area is known as “Abasto’s neighborhood” (in an unofficial way), and the legend of the most popular myth of Buenos Aires travels its streets: Carlos Gardel.
After a long period of inactivity and abandonment, in 1999 the Abasto Shopping was inaugurated. It kept the structure and the architectonic design of the old building. It hosts 250 clothing brands, a food court for 1500 people, 12 movie theatres and a whole 6000 square meters area with entertainment and games, plus the “Museum of the Children” where the youngest ones can learn while they play.
Nowadays the Shopping del Abasto is a symbol of this traditional neighborhood of Buenos Aires.
This exclusive shopping mall in Buenos Aires was inaugurated in 1990 and it received awards because of its design. It hosts 150 shops, a food court with availability for 730 people and its own parking lot.
It stands out for its location in one of the most important avenues of this city and because of its easy access.
Patio Bullrich transformed into a shopping mall after having functioned for 121 years as a prestigious auction house. The current building was reformed in 1995, so it hosts both the neoclassic architecture of the auction house and the modern style of the shopping mall. It has 6 cinema theatres and 89 shops plus a number of bars and restaurants with international menus. It also has its own parking lot and an amusement and entertainment area for children and for the whole family.
The building of the Paseo Alcorta was inagurated in 1992 with a modern and avant garde architecture. It is located in one of the most exclusive areas of Buenos Aires: Palermo Chico, whose name means exclusivity, fashion, warmness and trends.
In its four stories it hosts 122 shops, cinema theatre, ATM, international cuisine restaurants, bars, food courts, free parking lots and a Carrefour supermarket.
Address: Vicente López (entre Junín y Uriburu) 2050 – Recoleta
This is among the most important movie complexes in the city, around which many bars, pubs, restaurants, bookshops and meeting points later found their place, bordering one of the wings of the cemetery.
This gallery was inaugurated in 1915, it is now a classic on Florida street, once the highest building in the city, with 87 meters of height; it is a work by the architect Francisco Gianotti, who followed the style guidelines of the galleries in Milan.
He took care not only of the project itself and the construction, but of the design of each of the objects and the details as well, having a seal of the modernist eclecticism where the windows decorated with gold resemblances, the marble pilasters and the iron domes stand out in the halls.
At a time, this gallery comprised the most important commercial activity of the city; in the area surrounding San Martín street an important amount of offices used to function. The Gallery connects Florida and San Martín streets, but the only one that keeps in its façade vestiges from its original creation is the one located on San Martín St., since the original façade on Florida street was destroyed by a fire in 1970. Its reconstruction did not respect the original style and changed its characteristic by being occupied by a large number of offices.
In the beginning, a theater dedicated to cabaret used to have its place where today we find the “Piazzolla Tango”, one of the most important and impressive dinner-tango resorts in the city.
It is the Pasaje Defensa (passage) nowadays. It used to be the home of a typical family of Buenos Aires: the Ezeizas. The house was built in 1880. It constitutes one of the best example of the typical houses in San Telmo, it is a big two floor house with patios on the center and surrounded by different rooms.
The height of the roofs, the width of the bedrooms, the size of the patios and the style of its façade show Italian influences.
It used to be a family house in the beginnings, then, a primary school and later, a deaf mute school. During the crisis of the 1930s it became the home of 32 families.
It was redesigned and from 1981 on it is a commercial gallery where antique dealers, art galleries and different shops sell crafts and old objects.