Café El Banderín

Address: Guardia Vieja 3601 – Almagro

This is one of those historic bars that attract young customers and tourists; this is, beyond doubt, due to the 450 pennants crowding it. In the old times, the customer belonged to the surroundings, and came for a morning glass, and after-lunch coffee, and an evening card game, as there was no TV.
In 1923, “El Asturiano” food store opened in this place. In 1962, when the first market in the neighbourhood opened, the store closed down, and the bar went on in business.
All the items date back from the ‘20s but the tin counter, which was changed in 1962.
It serves picadas, sandwiches, coffee, fine wines, beer and vermut, among others.